Thursday, March 20, 2008

A few days in the Creek

So, when last we spoke I was sitting in a hotel room enjoying free wireless and anticipating some sweet bouldering in Joe's Valley later that day. Well, I did get some super sweet bouldering in with Darko up at the New Joe's section of Joe's valley. I got on a few cool problems and sent just about everything I tried except for a v6 called Planet of the Apes on which I blew the hard mantle top out after sticking the crux. I managed two v6's (Contact [taking maybe 30 tries and using possibly the worst beta ever] and Pocket Rocket [in three tries]) and two v5's (Self Service and another I can't remember the name of, both flashed) along with some other easier stuff. That made 3 v6's and 3 v5's in a day and a half of bouldering.

The weather was perfect with coolish temps but warm sun and a crisp breeze. It was fantastic. I'll have some pictures up at a later date.

We then busted back down to Indian Creek, picking up some supplies in Moab along the way. So, now three days later we are back in Moab on rest day after climbing a fair amount in the last two days. I think this is a much needed rest day for me since I have climbed 7 days in a row until now. We climbed not too hard the last two days. I led a few 5.10 cracks and got to top rope some slightly harder stuff. Yesterday I started off leading Generic Crack a 5.10- hand crack. It was pretty fun and I did two more runs on top rope to help build some endurance. Mostly we have just screwed around having fun and learning to appreciate the style of climbing in Indian Creek.

As I said we are resting today and then trying to send some 5.11s tomorrow. I have my eye on a route called Scarface which I might be able to get. It'll be fun either way.

Today we are heading up to Arches NP to hike around and check out a national park I haven't yet visited. And of course it is only about 3 miles outside of town. After climbing in IC tomorrow we'll head back up to Joe's Valley where I will try to send some v7's and maybe get back on Planet of the Apes. Darko will also be trying to send some v4's and v5's or at least the specific one's he was working on Monday, I have photographic proof that he should get the v5's since his fingers are just above the finishing jug in the picture. Some time on Sunday we'll drive on up to SLC, maybe fit in some bouldering at a place called Little Cottonwood Canyon and I'll drop off Darko at the airport before turning south and heading to LA.

My next update will probably come from LA and should include photos, so look to hear from me again around Tuesday or Wednesday next week depending on how long it takes me to shower all the caked-on dirt off myself.

No comments: