Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Big Loop: Day 22

DAY 22

I guess the wind chimed mules get the last laugh, as it is now 2:30am and they just went by my campsite. watering time maybe...


From The Big Loop


I couldn't sleep, again. But I was not uncomfortable this time. I read a bit, confident that I will finish hiking before I finish my book. But eventually I decided to get up and start walking. My route today takes me down to 8,000'. Which is where I am now at 7:45am. The sun has not yet risen high enough to reach the canyon floor and it is even a bit chilly here, now that I have stopped walking.

From The Big Loop


This spacious grove of immense pine trees at the trail junction probably bakes at noon. But for now it is cool and pleasant. By rough calculations based on my TOPO! mapping of the route, and park signs (neither of which is very reliable) I have 26 miles to go. 8.5 to Colby Pass, which is almost 4,000' of gain, followed by a drop of 4,500' to the Roaring River Ranger Station. Should be about 16 miles to there, and then only 10 over Avalanche Pass and down to Road's End. But 3,500' to Avalanche Pass followed by 5000' down to Road's End, my body won't thank me until I reach the car and stop for good.

From The Big Loop


Jeezum Crow!! What a pass! Colby is both one of the prettiest and one of the roughest Passes I have done. The trail was rubbish. Steep, loose and poorly maintained (editor's note: Turns out it is, in fact, not maintained at all.) at one point, I lost the trail and had an easier time going cross country. In fact many of my cross country passes were easier. But the up is done and soon I will start the descent.

From The Big Loop


From The Big Loop


In fact I finished the ascent a bit faster than I had guessed. Although I though I was being overly conservative at the time. Great views from up here.

From The Big Loop


However ants seem determined to crawl up my shorts, so I will stop writing and head down. One pass to go.

Songs in My Head: Harlem Globetrotters' Theme, and Rainy Day women came back as my trudging uphill song.

From The Big Loop


Guh. I walked too much today. Made it to Roaring River. 27.2 miles according to signage. I did enjoy the scenery greatly. Colby Pass was a fitting end to the trip, rough and though and beautiful. (Am I looking past Avalanche Pass? You bet I am. Did I learn my lesson on Colby? Nope!) I went over my 10 hour limit to get here, but I did not want tomorrow to be a full day. Probably stupid of me. I have enough food for three meals. 12-15 miles is the word of mouth estimate. Sign says 6.0 to the top of Avalanche Pass from here. 6 mile miles to go up 2600'. And then down 5000'.

It is warm here. And low: 7,400' maybe my lowest night of the trip. I hope ti stays warm. I'd like to get a full night's sleep, although when you go to bed @ 8:30 you don't have to sleep in to get a full night.

I had hummus and tuna burritos for dinner tonight, both brilliant and delicious. I have enough stuff to do it again too. But hopefully I'll be eating a burger or something instead.

No comments: