Friday, October 10, 2008

The Big Loop: Day 21 & 22

DAY 21

From The Big Loop


Well, I can't sleep anymore. It's not that cold. I am not sure what the problem is, maybe I was spoiled by last night. It looks like 8:30pm-1:30am is all I am going to get. So, my Tyndall alpine start is turning into a Whitney alpine start. It is 2:15am now and I should hit the trail before 3am. The moon came up just a little while ago so I might not burn too much battery time. 13 or 14 miles to the summit, on top by 10?

From The Big Loop


From The Big Loop


From The Big Loop


From The Big Loop


4:00PM UPDATE: Did it. Both summits and food scrounging. I was on top by 8:40 and it seemed like I was first, but then I found 3 Italians in the shelter. I was the first to sign the register at least. I got up Muir Peak too. It was both fun and not too hard. Got some tuna and tortilla from some NJ hikers. Oh yeah, Slim Jims too! Those are gone now. I've had a swim, a nap and a binge since returning to Guitar Lake. I'm now going to eat some more and then trip down hill for a bit. Only 37 more miles to go.

Current Song: Lump - Presidents of the United States of America

I have been measuring my progress by maps, since I don't know any mileages. Making it to a new page is good progress and now there are only 7 left and one will be done before tomorrow. (I think.)

From The Big Loop


I have camped by a stream to the south of Big Sandy Meadow. Not a lot of walking from Guitar, but the Whitney map is done and there are only 6 more to go. Yesterday I felt beat up and hungry and my feet were done, at this time. Today I am still tired but my feet are okay, I am full and I have both a sense of accomplishment and the joyous feeling of heading for home with a sense of fulfillment. I have loved this trip. I has been one of the most amazing things I have ever done. But I am ready to BE done. I am not tired of what I am doing. But it is time to be doing something else nonetheless. I am not wishing for "civilized" things, although they will be nice. And I am not eating my hummus and tortillas thinking, "I am SO OVER this food." Overall, I think my body is ready to slow down a bit and mentally I am psyched to be finishing such a big adventure, safely and in high spirits, and with my love for the Sierra multiplied rather than beaten down. (Gee. Hope I am not jumping the gun here. But on the other hand, 33 miles or so seems pretty close these days) I suppose I could make it out tomorrow with a BIG long day,(editor's note: this turned out to be untrue, or at least it would have been a nearly 24 hour effort) but there is no need to rush. I will just continue to move at my regular, although admittedly fast, pace.

For my last thought of the day I would like to say how freaky it is to be walking through a wilderness area at 4 in the morning, miles from anything and to hear wind chimes... when there is no wind. As I approached the source of the wind chimes I noticed that someone had picketed their mules in a Meadow with some very musical bells on. I hope the ringing bells from me walking by woke them up cause it sure weirded me out for a second or three.

DAY 22

I guess the wind chimed mules get the last laugh, as it is now 2:30am and they just went by my campsite. watering time maybe...


(to be continued...)

No comments: