Saturday, April 19, 2008

Storming the battlements

Today my one and only long term project fell. The Lost Keys traverse (v6) at Castle Rock State Park is a bouldering problem that I have been working on since last summer. I first got on the problem with Tero and Jen in August. And went back to it several times since, making increased progress each time. The last time I went out there was in February and I managed to make the crux move but fell trying to make the next move which is not hard but requires some care.



Today, I went up to Castle Rock around noon, and strolled over to the Indian Rock area to warm up. I got in a few good warm-ups and loosened up my sore back a little bit. I went right down to the Lost Keys boulder after that to get right to it. First try I made the crux move as a bit of a dynamic throw and wasn't able to stick it. Second try I had a foot dab but made the crux move static and finished the problem. So I needed to do the climb without the dab. On my third try I hadn't rested enough, but on the fourth try I stuck the crux and climbed carefully through the finish to finally complete my longest standing project.



Now I am left without a long term project that really motivates me. I am happy to have completed this project (very happy) but I need to find another project that inspires me to keep coming back and that remains just out of reach but engages me even in my failure. Hmmm... any suggestions, oh faithful readers?

1 comment:

Me said...

Oooh ooooh! Yay! Finally! I think that will be one of my outstanding nemeses - seeing as I dont live there anymore. Stick send!