Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A boulderer's Worst Nightmare

well... maybe not if you are old school. And I am sure if any old school climbers read this (which they won't) they would get all in a huff and complain about how wrong I am and how I don't know what I am talking about and "gym climbers... blah blah blah."

Yesterday between trips to various breweries I managed to stop by a classic bouldering/ trad climbing destination called Mount Woodson.



And hey it is damn cool. There are tons of boulders there and it is sweet high quality granite too. Unfortunate it is all virtually featureless. Face climbing is pretty much limited to aretes and some thin slab stuff.



Now because there is so much rock there a good number of cool slitter cracks scattered across the boulders covering the hillside. But these tend to be tall and somewhat intimidating for a lone guy with a crash pad like me. I have plans to go back equipped with a partner and some trad gear in addition to pads and hopefully that will be more fun. But I still think it is the modern boulderer's worst nightmare to walk up a hillside with so much rock and so few holds. (aside from maybe living in Florida where there is no rock at all).

No comments: