Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Big Loop: Day 19 & 20

DAY 19

From The Big Loop


For some reason I thought this was day 20 for me. I have no idea why. Maybe in my head yesterday's effort was worth two days. I was up early and ready to go at 6ish. Turns out, that last night I was nearly at my goal of the intersection where starts heading up to Pinchot Pass when I camped. I felt a bit gassed and the trail started right out switchbacking so I took it easy and stopped for a few photos after helping a Bay Area couple find the Taboose Pass trail.

From The Big Loop


I topped out Pinchot around 9am and had breakfast until quarter of ten, while chatting with a nice guy interested in retiring to Lone Pine. He also wants to do the South Lake to New Army Pass section of the JMT every summer until he can't. (and I don't blame him) Pinchot was beautiful and I took a few more photos before heading out.

From The Big Loop


The rest of my morning was a trudge down to the odd suspension bridge over the South Fork (of the King's River?). Got to hike with a nice guy from Arkansas for a while, and that helped a lot. I didn't plan it this way, but with only 8.9miles to the top of Glen Pass, I ought to get over today if I start walking at 2. I am not going to push it though and we'll see what time it is as I approach the pass. Doing Pinchot and Glen on the same day seems like a better idea than doing Glen and Forester. Toughness-wise that is...

From The Big Loop


Well I have stopped at Rae Lakes. I am just tired today. I ate a lot of beans tonight and I hope that will refuel me for tomorrow. I will certainly do Glen and Forester Passes tomorrow, but I am starting to doubt whether or not I should climb Tyndall. Split was walk up and seems to have kicked my ass. But after Tyndall there are no passes before Whitney. We'll have to see how I am feeling in the morning. I have a great bivy spot here between Upper and Middle Rae Lakes. A nice cave to block the wind. There were more storm clouds, which is my other excuse for not going over Glen tonight. And the clouds made for a pretty sunset, that I dragged myself out of my cave to go photograph.

From The Big Loop


This area is really pretty, but it has been used harder than any other area I have been through. So many impacted campsites and even though this is a Saturday most of them are empty. I hope to feel stronger tomorrow. I want to finish the trip on a high note.

DAY 20

Wow, I wrote a whole ton on day 20 so it is going to have to be its own post...

No comments: