Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Big Loop: Day 17 & 18

DAY 17

From The Big Loop


Made it to LeConte! According to Ranger Bob at the LeConte Ranger Station it's 20 miles to McClure meadows, which means I made about 24 miles without even pushing hard. Although, my feet were certainly ready to stop at 7pm when I did finally settle down for the night.

I had a great day though, my feet did really well. I made good time and met some cool people while walking through some really beautiful sections of trail. I managed to be through the low sections before they warmed up or after they cooled off for the evening. And given my current location I think that strategy will work again tomorrow.

I saw at least 15 Mountain Yellow Legged Frogs at Wanda Lake which was very cool. In the Muir Pass shelter I had lunch while hanging out with a couple of cool guy that had just finished a forest service internship of 6 months. They donated some more instant refried beans to me, for which I was extremely grateful.

From The Big Loop


On the way down into LeConte Canyon I met Anda, a runner from SF (originally Amherst, MA) who is doing the HR (or at least attempting it) in 10 days. I tried to give him some advice but he seemed to be learning the route as he went, which mean he was not familiar with the names of the places I was referring to. I also met a father daughter team that had climbed Black Giant this morning. They seemed like a burly duo, if perhaps not the best route finders.

So, I will get over Mather Pass tomorrow. Time and weather conditions when I get to the other side of the pass will determine when I attempt to climb Split Mountain. Good weather and before 2pm means GO. Otherwise I'll camp and get an alpine start on Saturday.

DAY 18

From The Big Loop


Quite a day for me. I had a long walk through the valley to reach a series of switchbacks known as the "Golden Staircase." They are very tight switchbacks in some sections so I guess the name is not too ostentatious. My early start time of 5:45 or 6 (not sure when I actually started walking) got me to the "G.S." at 8:50 and up it to the Lower of the Palisade Lakes by 10, where I had a nice breakfast. At 10:55 I left to surmount Mather Pass, which I reached at 1:20. I ate lunch on the Pass with Laura (an editor for Wilderness Press) and the whole time I was looking at Split Mountain and drooling.

From The Big Loop


After lunch I booked it down to the Lake so I could ditch my pack and go climb the peak.

From The Big Loop


In a mere hour and forty minutes I was enjoying the fantastic views from a 14'er on the Sierra crest.

From The Big Loop


From The Big Loop


Everything today has been super pretty (especially since I was through the valleys before they had a chance to heat up). I did my crunches on the summit and hung out for about 20 minutes before approaching clouds precipitated my descent. In another hour and twenty minutes I was back at my gear and I decided to eat dinner before continuing on the trail for a bit.

From The Big Loop


I was walking again around 6pm and at 7:30 there was a a fantastic sunset, the first I have seen on this trip that had real color in the sky.

From The Big Loop


I spent 15 minutes taking photos before finally heading down into the woods to camp.

From The Big Loop


I am somewhere near the bottom of the descent before Pinchot Pass. Tomorrow I'll cross the pass a bit early in the day and then have all the rest to try to get through the Rae Lakes area.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, evan,

it looks like you enjoyed the rest of your high sierra/jmt hike. i posted way too many pics with captions on my flickr album. if you're interested, i'd be happy to send you a link.

take care,
laura (from wilderness press)

Evan said...

Laura, I would love to see your photos. You can e-mail it to me at evanthebloody at gmail dot com