Friday, September 12, 2008

The Big Loop: Day 11 & 12

Day 11

From The Big Loop


Not much to say about today. A long walk on a trail or three. But I got my cheeseburger and a beer and some ice cream. A whole pint of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food. Yosemite is beautiful and I loved seeing the familiar rock as I got closer to Tuolumne. Sam and incredible waterfall along the Isberg Pass trail between the Lyell fork of the Merced and Lewis Creek. Met some cool folks around the Meadow. Tomorrow I will try to get to the Valley and back for my rest day.

DAY 12

I decided not to go to the valley. When I thought about it I couldn't see the point of paying $15 to get down and back, arriving in Tuolumne at 6:50pm. That is a little late to get started. I want to head up the trail a bit tonight for free camping and getting out of range of the day hikers. So, I figured the only thing I really wanted was a good book. I am going to get the Norman Clyde book here in Tuolumne Meadows and call that good enough. I'll have a hamburger, a beer, maybe more ice cream, buy my batteries and hit the trail around 4pm. Crunches and push ups might be necessary too. I am expecting to do around 20 miles a day on the John Muir Trail along with climbing Split and Tyndall. A guide book in the store says it's 150 miles from Red's Meadow to Whitney and that sounds like 8 days to me. Based on food I have 12 days left. I may pick up more at the Muir Trail Ranch, but we shall see. Red's Meadow seems so close and to think I have only 10 more days after that... I suppose it is really dawning on me that I at at the true halfway point in time and challenge if not in distance.

From The Big Loop


Up til now I have been hauling ass on trails. I may need to take that down a peg or two. We'll see though. If there are only one or two passes a day the JMT could feel very different as compared to my expectations. Hmm, tomorrow night might be re-fried bean night again if I make it far enough to get my resupply the next day...

Well, trying a new beer is always interesting. This time especially so because in addition to tasting unlike any other beer I have had (other double IPA's, I mean) it also knocked me on my ass. It was an interesting state to start out the JMT in. I had gone over to the Visitor's Center as a last resort for a good book to read, and had success with "Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada" by Clarence King, as in Mount Clarence King, as in pay attention they didn't name a mountain after me for nothing...

Upon my return I resolved to get a burger, some ice cream and a beer to go with my burger. I decided to try the 395 IPA from Mammoth Brewing Company, but it was in a bomber. No problem I've drank bombers before and been fine. But I don't want to start out the JMT with Double IPA in my mouth, I'll need another beer to wash it down... In comes the Sammy Smith Nut Brown Ale. Needless to say given my lack of calorie surplus recently, the effect of these beers was to render my departure on the JMT into a bit of a fog.

Nonetheless I made it far enough down the trail to camp legally. I am just past the Evelyn Lake Trail in the ever flat, very long Lyell Canyon. I lucked out despite my "fog", making good time under threateningly cloudy skies, and distant rumbles of thunder. But, it didn't rain (more than a few drops) and the clouds kept me cooler than I had any right to expect. Well, I am hitting the sack early tonight. Tomorrow is my first real day on the John Muir Trail, and it will be interesting to see how close I get to Red's Meadow.

No comments: