Sunday, June 1, 2008

Four Time Zones, Two Days


Memorial Day weekend on Lake Michigan.


So when last I wrote I was in St. John, MI waiting for The Livery to open up. It was well worth the wait although it took me a little while to get to the really good stuff. I met a few very nice folks, Dixie and Tim the bar-tending couple, Mike the Livery's biggest on-line advocate and Steve the Owner/Brewer. In the course of meeting these fine folks I tried a lot of Livery brews and they ranged from merely okay to fantastic stuff unlike anything I had tasted before. Favorites of mine were the Bourbon barrel aged Triple Wheat Bock, and the Merlot barrel aged Malliot Juane (which I think is a beire de garde). I am hoping to form a relationship with those guys so I can try more of their beers despite their lack of distribution. In return I will try to spread the word of the Livery in Socal.

When I left the Livery I took with me a growler of Red Canoe, which is a wonderful Irish Red Lager, for Grant, my buddy in Indy. I rolled on down to Three Floyds which is barely out of the way heading from The Livery to Indy. While there I had a delicious rueben and a glass of Dreadnaught IPA. Both were delicious and it is hard to decide which was better. I got to Grant's place in Indy around midnight and a a brief chat with him before hitting the sack.

The next day I got up at a reasonable time and hit the road to LA. I put in two relatively long days of driving. The highlight was stopping in Albuquerque to get some chicharones a delicious crispy fried pork that can be used to fill any sort of Mexican type of dish. Along with the chicharones, little bit of fresh Mexican cheese and some flat bread made an excellent meal. I stayed the night in New Mexico and got into LA around 8:30.

Since, then I have been drinking some awesome beer with Josh, climbing at Stoney Point and eating meat with Jen. Josh has a few days off this week and we are discussing an overnight hike in the Sierra with Watson. If that happens there should be some good pictures forth coming in this space.


Stormy Sunset in the Texas Panhandle.

No comments: