Monday, June 23, 2008

14,000 Crunches

Or rather crunches at 14,00 feet. On my way from LA to Palo Alto for graduation I decided to climb Mount Langley the southern most 14,000+ ft. peak in California. And also one of the easiest. I drove up from LA, got my overnight backcountry permit around 3 and got on the trail around 4:30. What follows is a picture based trip report.

The first few miles were relatively flat with mostly sandy ground and widely spaced trees.


The first stream crossing.

After a while the trail tilted up hill and a few meadows broke up the trees.


The trail climbed to a saddle which was the entrance to Cottonwood Lakes Basin.


Shortly after this point I got my first view of Langley.


Near dark I arrived at Cottonwood Lake #5 and I spent the night under the tree on the right side of this photo. In the photo you can also see the snow chute that I had to climb the next morning, it is the band of snow leading to the lowest point on the horizon. (This photo was taken on the following day.)


The next morning I ate a little food and gathered the things I was taking with me up the mountain. I worked my way to the base of the chute where I put on my crampons and got out my ice axe.


I worked my way up the steep snow.


And at the top it looked like this:


Fortunately after a walking only a little ways towards the summit I was able to look to the west into the heart of the southern Sierra.


The walk to the top of Langley was long but not difficult after reaching the top of the snow chute. It looks pretty desolate and it is, but there were a number of plants and flowers growing up there and even a few marmots running around.


Despite my frequent stops to catch my breath I made it to the summit after not too long and I was able to enjoy the views and do a few crunches since it was so nice and sunny with hardly any wind at all.

Cottonwood Lakes Basin


Lone Pine, CA


Whitney


After eating a bit more I headed back down the mountain, descending the snow chute, and picking up the stuff I had left at my camping spot. The lakes and the basin looked quite nice on my way back to the car.







No comments: